Chicago City-wide FOCIS Center of Excellence
Welcome to the Chicago City-wide FOCIS (Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies) Center of Excellence (FCE) Website!
The goal of this center is to provide a venue for communication and education in the field of Clinical Immunology and to foster interdisciplinary collaboration with a focus on the immunopathology of disease states in children and adults. This will be accomplished by:
- Developing clinical research activities that cross established disciplines, and
- Creating scientific forums that encourage these collaborative activities among the faculty at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Children's Memorial Hospital, Children's Memorial Research Center, Rush Medical College, University of Chicago, Loyola University Chicago, University of Illinois, and other participants. We will encourage attendance at FOCIS annual meetings and other relevant activities by faculty and trainees.
Specifically, our goals are:
- To investigate the development, structure and function of the immune system and the interactions of its components in health and disease.
- To define the differences in the pathophysiology of selected illness in children vs adults.
- To characterize the pathophysiology of pediatric primary and secondary immunodeficiency, infectious, allergic and autoimmune diseases in order to devise new trial interventions and to develop improved monitoring modalities.
- To document the role of mucosal immune system in pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease and food allergy.
- To investigate the genetic basis of complex autoimmune diseases with the aim of increasing our understanding of disease etiology, with the potential of improving treatment and potentially the developing preventive strategies.
- To create multifaceted work groups in order to address common research goals.
- To provide education concerning response to current and promising immunomodulatory therapeutic agents.
Chicago City-wide FCE Members
Upcoming Immunology-Related Events
ContactFor more information about the Chicago City-wide FCE or to join, e-mail or call 773/755-6375.