CMRCFile Backup Policy
This backup policy applies to CMRCFile and CMRCFile only.
Policy - This policy addresses information technology operations only and does not replace any more stringent application data retention or backup policies.
All Windows data processing file servers that are managed and housed by the CMRC Information Technology department will be backed up to alternate disk and/or removable media (tape, CD/DVD, etc.) on a periodic basis according to this policy.
- The Backup Window will consist of all days and times except 0600 to 1800, Monday through Friday.
- The following are the minimum, standard backup requirements for all servers:
- All servers will have a Full Backup performed once per week. \
- Each month, one of the weekly Full Backups will be retained as a Monthly Backup.
- Three consecutive Monthly Backup media stores will be retained on-site, in a secure location.
- Nine consecutive prior Monthly Backup media stores will be retained off-site in a secure location.
- All servers will have a Cumulative-Incremental Backup performed daily.
- Backup retention will be no less than one year, that is, the ability to restore files backed up from 12 Monthly Backups, up to 3 Weekly Backups and up to 6 Daily Backups.
- Critical File Restoration – files critical to the operation of the research enterprise will be restored as soon as practicable.
- Non-Critical File Restoration:
- Files backed up within a week should be restored within one business day of a request, Monday through Friday.
- Files backed up within 3 months should be restored within two business days of a request, Monday through Friday.
- Files backed up over 3 months past should be restored within three business days of a request, Monday through Friday.
- Backup Window - The times of day and the days of the week in which data center staff performs file backup, restore and archive procedures.
- Cumulative-Incremental Backup – a backup of all server files that have changed since the last Full Backup
- Differential-Incremental Backup – a backup of all server files that have changed since the last Full or Incremental Backup
- File Restoration – files are copied from backup media to their source.
- Full Backup – a backup of all files on a server
- Managed and housed - servers must be placed within locations controlled by the Information Technology (IT) data center operations management and staff.
- Non-Critical File Restoration – files that have been inadvertently or purposefully deleted and are requested to be restored.